The Top 10 Ways to Movtivate Employees
Bonuses and rewards make decent motivational tools, but their effects can be short-term. The best way to motivate employees, especially over the long haul, is by creating an environment they enjoy working in.
1. Provide employees with the right work assignments and they will consistently produce. They are self-motivated if the job is challenging enough. Provide a mixture of assignments and responsibilities.
2. Energize employees. Give them the opportunity to make decisions and direct projects.
3. Implement teamwork into your organization and department. Employees working closely together toward a common goal will work harder to achieve their objectives.
4. Provide the opportunity for flexible work schedules. Pull back from your reliance on the time clock and concentrate on actual performance instead of just presence in the office. As employees juggle more and more personal and professional requirements, their need for flexible work schedules grows.
5. Share information. Keep employees up to date on new developments and initiatives in the organization. Show them how their work affects the company's success.
6. Provide recognition. Employees need recognition and praise. Give ample feedback and public recognition whenever possible.
7. Provide the safety and security that employees need. Employees crave job security, a steady income, health insurance, and a hazard-free work environment. Salary and fringe benefits are very important to them.
8. Act as a coach to your staff and encourage your managerial colleagues to do the same. Create opportunities for senior managers to work closely with employees eager to learn skills and move up.
9. Ease up on the dress code. Unless your business requires professional attire, relax the dress code to comfortable standards.