Fulfilling Our Basic Need Of Self Protection
Self preservation of ourselves and our loved ones is one of man's basic needs. It is inherent in every single one of us. Mankind craves security. I don't know why it is but every time my wife and I go to see her cousin in San Diego I get to thinking about self-defense. You see, my wife's cousin just turned 60 but he is still active in karate and has been able to stay in condition. I thinks its great that he can do this, and I'm sure his knowledge of the martial arts would be of great help to him if he or his family were ever attacked and had to defend themselves. I sit and ponder the what the result would be for me or my family who have had no formal martial art backgrounds and possibly handicapped due to our physical disabilities. How do we prevent ourselves from becoming victims? What would you do in my place? I have investigated crime reports and their recommendations. Pretty much across the board they recommend using some common sense and avoidance of situations and scenarios that give the edge to the criminal. For example: Street Safety. Using common sense.
1. Stay in well lighted, busy areas. Avoid walking alone and avoid known trouble spots.
2. When you carry a purse, hold it close to your body rather than by the handles. Do not wrap purse straps around your wrist, because you can get hurt in a struggle.
3. Carry only what you need in a purse or wallet, not everything you have.
4. Avoid using shortcuts through dark alleys, fields, or vacant lots.
5. If you think you're being followed, cross the street and change directions a few times. Go quickly to a well-lighted place with lots of people. Do not go home. You don't want an attacker to know where you live. There may come times that we have taken all the recommended precautions and still find ourselves in a position to be victimized by criminals. Is there anything else we can do? Today we have the benefit of technology such as self-defense devices and surveillance equipment in the forms of personal alarms, pepper spray, nanny cams, etc. When we decide to use this technology we must use it wisely and be familiarized with its operation. Having knowledge about how these devices are properly used is very important. Society's institutions no longer have the capability to protect you and your family as they once had. For the last twenty years or so the nation's crime rate has greatly increased. Obviously our nation and society have become a dangerous place in which to live and raise our children. The laws and institutions designed to protect us are failing to do so. There is little left for us to do but arm ourselves with effective defense devices and/or learn the ancient ways of self protection long forgotten by our ancestors.